Driver's Manual cover

Wie weet wie....? Wie weet wat....? Wie weet waar....?
E10

Driver's Manual cover

Postby E10 » 05 Jan 2011 21:34

Joris, dit kwam voorbij op de registry. Kun je dat bevestigen?:

Guys,

I happen to think this is one of those subjects on our cars that has never been written about
in the past and it would be a good future article in the Registry. I was hoping to write a article myself on the covers for the Registry, but have never got around to completly researching it . I don' know much about the Pre A cars, but I beleave that the early A cars came with a red carboard cover which said PORSCHE in the standard factory block letters on the front upper area center of the cover and then went to a 2nd version of the same red carboard cover somtime in 56 or early 57 with the crest in the lower right corner. I beleave the red cardboard cover with the crest was used thru the latter A production 58 or 59.

I think the red plastic cover came in about 59, but for sure by 1960 the early red plastic covers had Porsche in a small block area in the corner of the cover. I can not tell you when this cover was changed to the next version.

My sources have been as follows :

1.My 57 T1 coupe survivor # 58589 Birth date March 20 /57 has it's complete manual with the red carboard cover with crest in lower right hand corner.

2. I have the complete pouch out of a friends early 59 cabriolet serial # 151459 which again has the red carboard cover with the crest on the lower right hand corner.

3. I purchased a red carboard manual on Ebay several years ago with the PORSCHE block letters on the front with paper work included for a early 57 speedster serial # 83095 ( I personally think this cover was to be used in 56) but because of the paper work included inside it looks to have always been togather as a complete unit.

4. I had a 1960 complete manual out of a early B roadster which a friend had owned in the 60's and crashed, the cover was red plastic with Porsche in a small square block in the corner.

I am not claiming to be a expert, but just trying to add my two cents on what I think may be correct.

Keep in mind the red carboard covers are not made to last long if not handled carefully or if they get wet they fall apart and my feeling is most of them were disguarded and eventually replaced with new plastic covers .

Return to “Wie weet....?”